General Managers Position
General Managers Position
"Great stories happen to those who can tell them" - Ira Glass
Do you believe telling stories builds communities?
Are you looking to exercise your management skills while delivering a strong artistic vision?
Word Travels is a not-for-profit arts organisation. We organise literary and literacy programs for communities, libraries, schools, festivals, private companies and cultural institutions across the Asia Pacific region and beyond.
Word Travels is very excited to invite a dynamic General Manager to join our team.
You have a passion for detail. You balance dreams with realism and a clear task list. Fastidious and organised while being relaxed and personable.
The Word Travels General Manager works closely with the Creative Director in a collaborative leadership role to manage the growth and direction of the organisation with support from a strong and commited board.
The General Manager is responsible for all aspects of the organisation’s operational activities.
The General Manager will also contribute significantly to the development of Word Travels' Strategic Plan. As part of this role, you will work with a small team, including a Program Officer, volunteer staff, and interns managing the office and the day-to-day tasks.
Word Travels aims to inspire, encourage and empower people to tell their stories in creative ways, primarily through live performance.
We develop, support and present programs annually in Australia, NZ, Indonesia and China with a focus on using performance to showcase new writers from urban and regional areas.
Our largest initiative is our international performing writers program:
Australian Poetry Slam – June – Oct
Other core parts of the Word Travels’ annual program include:
- Multilingual Poetry Slam – March
- The Rumble: Young Performing Writers’ Program – May
- Story Fest – October
As an arts organisation, our programs mix industry, audience and artistic development.
As a community organisation, Word Travels’ programs contribute to literacy, critical thinking on social issues and personal-development.
WHAT YOU BRING
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Financial and project management with skills in developing, monitoring and managing cash-flow and budgets.
- Understanding of relevant legislation, policies and procedures required to effectively run a small not-for-profit based arts organisation e.g WHS, equity, human resources, insurances, tax compliance, governance
- Preparing funding applications, reports and acquittals
- Developing business systems to effectively deliver programs and meet client needs
- High level computer skills including software relevant to accounting, time and people management, document drafting eg; MYOB (or equivalent), Microsoft Office and more.
You have a tertiary qualification in arts management and/or equivalent arts industry experience.
Please contact contact Word Travels for a full Position Description including further selection criteria details.
Applications close: 6pm Friday 25 March 2016.
Contact : email@example.com Phone: